Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Lets Talk CoDependency

This may not be the best or most entertaining entry I have or will ever make, but I need to cover it because it is a part of my life and "single" journey.
The first time someone mentioned codependency to me in regards to myself was about 2 years ago in my counselors office. No way, I am not codependent and I dismissed it... Until my divorce and I started looking at it again in a different light, with my counselor. At the same time a good friend gave me a book and I am now in it's second reading, Codependent No More by Melody Beattie. The first time with an orange hi liter and this time a yellow one. I also found a packet given to me called "thinking errors". I tell you all of this so you can begin to understand my journey in emotional healing and maybe it will touch one of you and help you along your path as well.
After my divorce, I realized that I had very little personal identity left. I couldn't remember if the things I liked were because they were my likes or because they were part of my marriage or part of the person that I was expected to be. I could not seem to make a solid decision and did not trust my choices, I
felt a very real whole in my heart and in my life. I was lonely and desperate to replace or rebuild the dream I once had. Rebuilding the dream I had has to start with a very strong, happy and whole person one that is okay with herself. This is the journey I am on now and am feeling so happy to be working on me.
So what is codependency? "An emotional, psychological, and behavioral condition that develops as a result of an individuals prolonged exposure to, and practice or, a set of oppressive rules-rules which prevent the open expression of feeling as well as the direct discussion of personal and interpersonal problems". "Caretaker", "A person who has let another person's behavior affect him or her, and who is obsessed with controlling that person's behavior". "guilt", "codependents want to help but probably died thinking they didn't do enough and were feeling guilty".
I hope this will be the first of several entries I will make on this subject as I grow and change and work toward becoming the new and amazing woman I have the ability to be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Mormon Women

.....finding our way.

LDS Dating

......at it's finest.

Single LDS Women

.......way better than any cassarole!

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP